Wednesday 16 September 2009

The Doubt Is Beginning To Go...

To cut a long story short, in the fast few months I have finally decided to embark seriously on a Freelance Writing Career, supporting myself initially whilst I wait for enough paid work, by doing sales and consultancy work.

The biggest hurdle, for me at any rate, has been the fear that I am not good enough, I have written countless articles and sat there at some point thinking ‘does anyone actually want to read this?’ and then the doubt creeps in...You begin thinking, this is fine, but it’s just my opinion or my account, why the hell would anyone want to read it? But then writer’s vanity takes over and you remember how good you feel when you write a piece and people read it or comment on it. Even if it’s just a thread on an internet forum where I have either contributed or started in the first place. In fact the latter is better because you wait for the response; whether people agree with you or not is largely irrelevant...what counts is that they reply! That your comment has prompted people to write in response, and of course the amount of response that you get! I started a thread some time ago on a forum and it ran to 10 pages I think in the end! Excellent! It is also really good practice, and, as the old adage goes, ‘Write Write Write’ Any practice is good practice since you are perfecting your craft and we all want to get better at our game don’t we? I do obviously since the more I write and the better I write, the more I get paid!

Another factor behind my decision to write for money is this. All it takes is my time, some research, talent and a lot of patience with my laptop, and I have created something that will be read by many and I will get paid for perhaps more than once...And I can do this as much as I like or want or need more money/income. And that’s what I want. A raw skill that I can polish into something that will earn me income whenever I need it and on a repeat basis. If I can manage that then I will be happy because it will mean I no longer have to go looking for a ‘job’ and will no longer be totally dependent on others i.e. Employers ...I will be as Self-sufficient as it is possible to be!

So, the doubt is indeed going and the conviction is replacing it, just need to get more work in now and I will be as happy as good 'ol ‘Larry’...

No comments:

Post a Comment